Social Science

Monday, March 30, 2009

What do you think of the new trend of using plus-sized male actors in leading roles?

Examples: Seth Rogen, Jack Black, Anthony Anderson, Kevin James, Cedric the Entertainer.





Open question with very few details. I don't want to influence others with my own thoughts on this one.



I think it's awesome! They are normal people with normal/ average body images. Some people think that only women have the negative body image, but I've known a few anorexic men and many overweight men that are insecure about their images. So for them to watch a non skinny guy, I would think, as I feel this way about a normal/ non-skinny woman, that they would feel less insecure when watching these movies! Plus, I have always liked men with more meat on them, so I personally rather watch these movies than something with skinny Brad Pitt in it!!




something like:


1) Beauty and The Beast


2) Princess and The Frog


3) Shrek





that send the message "don't be shallow by just looks to love"








-but only to women.





to encourage women to date as ugly and fat guys as possible, in order to prove self-coolness, while it's ok for men to stick with their shallowness when it comes to choosing women with beauty.





double standard? -but doesn't really work that good. more girls still go for the Twilight dude.




I like it- having more size representations on screen is a good thing. Plus, I don't want to imagine how sad the world would be if I couldn't enjoy my hilarious Jack Black movies just because he was bigger than what some producer thought would be appealing.





That said, I sure wish there were more plus-sized women in leading roles as well.




I like to see a variety of people on screen. Not everyone in the the world fits in to the Angelina Jolie Brad Pitt category. I would really like to see more normal people and not just what we think are the beautiful people. I loved the movie dream girls with Jennifer Hudson. She is very talented. I think John Goodman is so funny. so bring on the talent regardless of size or race or gender




I hadn't noticed it or really thought anything of it until you pointed it out. But I'm fine with it, I think Jack Black in particular is awesome to watch and even occasionally adorable. Now if only Hollywood had such an open mind toward female leads.




I think they are attractive. I don't mind it. I like seeing all kinds of people in leading roles.





I agree, talent is important.





I do wish there were more plus size women in leading roles. Bridget Jones isn't a good representation.




who cares about their weight there funny as hell. it's nothing new seeing overweight men in movies. even women, theres a lot of funny women that are plus-sized that i would date just because their funny. america loves funny people.




New trend? Where have you been in the last 100 years? It would be a new trend if producers started casting overweight females in leading roles, but other than Hairspray I don't see it happening.




Black, white, fat, thin, yellow, average...whatever.





I just want to see talented people on screen. We have enough airheads who 'act' based solely on looks and not talent.




It seems to fit in with the "all men are inept burn-outs" theme that women demand from the media.




Whatever, I don't care. I don't really view them in terms of their size, just their talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Science