Social Science

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Would you have done the same if you had the floor..?

I am finishing studying for my teaching certificate. For the past three times my writing class has met (We meet on Mondays and Wednesdays), students have been giving individual presentations on research topics. When other people have had the floor, I have felt it only right to be attentive and courteous. Well, today, when it was my turn, two girls sitting in the front kept jabbering away, not even trying to keep their voices down. The professor didn%26#039;t say anything to them about it, so finally, after they had kept yammering on for five minutes, I looked in their direction and said, %26quot;Ladies, if you please, I am talking.%26quot; and went back to my presentation. They both gave me a look like they needed a good enema, and one picked up her stuff and left right then and there. Before any of you make any remarks about how I was boring them, they were talking right from the moment I had the floor, and, even if I was, I was courteous enough to sit and listen to their presentation on Monday (and I thought both of theirs left much to be desired). If you were the one who was speaking, and the professor had let it go without saying anything, would you have let it go, or said something to them also?



BRAVO! You stood up for yourself and you did it in a respectful way.


The instructor should have taken control of the class, but you did what you had to do. The lesson in this is don%26#039;t wait for someone else to stand up for you. The anger of the other girls is not your problem. They owe you an apology. NOT the other way around. Please don%26#039;t let their future resentment make you feel guilty. There is a price for being assertive, and it%26#039;s that other people have to take a real look at themselves; they don%26#039;t always like what they see. If they ever say anything I%26#039;d say something like %26quot; I could barely hear myself over your conversation so I had no choice but to say something. I had put a lot of work into my project and felt I deserved to be heard It was nothing personal. %26quot;




You were correct, but not 100% polite. I would have stopped and looked directly at them, letting the whole room focus uncomfortably on their conversation until they stopped talking.





If it was repeated, i would have stopped again, and said %26quot;Ladies, PLEASE save your questions for the discussion at the end of my speech.%26quot;





I%26#039;m not surprised the instructor didn%26#039;t step in. You are, after all, learning to control a classroom and command the attention of all in attendance, and this was good practice.




I would have said something too. It%26#039;s just common courtesy. Surely what they were discussing wasn%26#039;t that important because the one girl left. It definitely could have waited until the end of the class. I must admit, I was talking during this one woman%26#039;s %26quot;speech%26quot; a few weeks ago. But I did it on purpose just to piss her off. ha ha




You were right to call them on their behavior. If you hadn%26#039;t said anything, their rude behavior would have gone on unnoticed. Others saw how they were acting too, and your speaking up highlighted that. They may think twice before yammering again.




I would have said something too. Whether they were bored is irrelevant, but they didn%26#039;t show any common courtesy and got called out on it. Good for you.




I would definitely have said something, politely of course! How rude of them.




Don%26#039;t worry, they needed telling.


-Mark-




you did the right thing and you did it politely which is admirable in this day and age. good for you




Five minutes? Why did you wait so long?




Some professors just don%26#039;t have the guts. I%26#039;m a bit of a pansy in front of crowds. That%26#039;s why I decided to NOT pursue a Ph.D. (that and the research field is full of people who eat each other alive...).





You showed you were a good presenter because you actually had the guts to tell people to shut up. Good job.





If the professor doesn%26#039;t have the guts/spine/balls to tell classmates to shut up, I fail to see how they%26#039;d deduct points for you getting your audience in check.


%0D%0A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Science